Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 7 – Should I stay or should I go?

Docked in North Sydney, Nova Scotia around 7am and rolled off the ferry shortly after; not into the forecasted sunshine but rain and wind – wonderful.
Maybe it was the night on the floor, but nothing seemed to work this morning. Into raingear at a coffee shop I found in the POI section of my Nav – it was closed of course. First gas station didn’t accept any of my cards – pay inside – yeah and line up behind 20 others – not happening. I am mad!
When trying to route the way to Dingby where a ferry to Saint John might be an alternative to riding all the way the Garmin GPS (set to curvy roads) is routing me back to Labrador and suggest a 2600 miles trip more or less where I came from – thanks Garmin and may I suggest you focus on something different than GPS navigation? Gardening tools, baking supply, knitting and stitching?  If you didn’t integrate with the BMW bike your device would have been dropped from the next bridge.

Ironbutt and company is passing me and I ride with them for about 30 miles. They constantly stretch and use every stop to get out of the saddle, shift position, I am learning by observing.

I fuel up the bike and check the weather in Saint John, NB since that is the area where I plan to stay for the night. Foggy and in the 60’s - not very promising.


The weather improves and - with soup and the best cheesecake of the universe for lunch - my mood too. All of a sudden the miles on the odometer run faster and I am approaching Saint John in bright sunshine.


What a disappointment – to be fair maybe I am not ready for people, music and busy roads - the smell of the town makes my sick. I have to get out of here quick and follow a sign to a road with a light house – didn’t see any light house but had a good time hugging the coast for the next hour or so.



A little further South the fog is rolling in again, the temperature drops to mid 60’s within a mile, not a good omen for the last stretch. It’s time to top off the bike again and to find accommodation for the night – of course all recommendations from the guy at the gas station end with “if they still have availability”. The US border is 30 to 40 min away and the ETA for “Home” is 10:15pm – should I?
The idea of sleeping in my own bed is shortening the decision-making process and off we go. At the border in no time; immigrated in less than 2 minutes - 65 miles to I-95, speed limit +10 on the cruise control and the fun begins.

At 10:30pm I put the kickstand down in my garage with a new personal best in distance ridden in a day.

I am falling asleep while contemplating the trip, the people I met, the nature, the roads, the rain, the sun, the dust and the sound of the boxer engine.





I hope you enjoyed following the trip, hopefully next year I am able to go on another T-Dawg Tour, James Bay, Canada is the most southern part of the Arctic Ocean – sounds like fun!

Thomas


Odometer reading 
Today:              800.1 miles
Total:              2963.4 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment