Sunday, July 17, 2016

Day 5 - The Big Day

Today is the day that will determine whether or not we will make it through the TLH. I booked a room close to Blanc Sablon, QC and it should be around 415 miles to get there. Well, about 300 miles of it is dirt road and there is no service before Port Hope Simpson, which is about 255 miles from Goose Bay.

Paving of that stretch has started and soon you’ll see weekend warriors rolling up there asking “what’s the big deal with this trip?” I mean we had it easy enough, a photographer on a BMW R100/7 who we met in Lab City did the TLH in 2010 when the highway opened and it was all gravel – yikes!

Warming up on the first 40 miles of new pavement after Goose Bay and the fun begins. And it lasted, lasted, lasted and lasted …

They are doing a great job keeping the gravel road in shape, however they do it by grading it constantly, which means shaving of the hard surface filling the ditches and creating some sand traps for bikers. In the video you see some of them at work and what the result did to me – didn’t go down but close to.... "ACHTUNG BABY!"

The surface and thickness of loose gravel changes constantly, while we are “flying down the road” with 50+ miles at one place I only dare to do 35 mph at others. Our two bikes are almost identical except for George reading about the gravel stretches and came on Heidenau and Conti knobby tires while I brought my Michelin Anakee – a tire that is 90% road and 10% off. Surface that worked for one didn’t work for the other but overall George did much better and of course that was entirely due to the tires.

Port Hope Simpson was a major milestone on the trip, gas for the bikes, lunch for the riders and I bought a “I survived the Trans Labrador Highway sticker” hoping I was indeed alive to put it on.

Just outside town we were stopped by a black bear in the middle of the road, of course my GoPro was out of battery and I missed the first wild bear I saw. In the interest of keeping the language clean in the blog I save you my personal review of that product and what I think about that company.
We later learned that the bear population is very strong and they are very active which creates some problems. During the day two pick up trucks crossed our path pulling bear traps, one we saw on the side to the road, hoping they were about to release one, but no.



A fisherman we met later shared pictures of a cub and its mother on the road checking out his vehicle, sniffing the tires and showing no regard for the passenger. Maybe skipping the idea of camping by the road wasn’t that bad after all.

Here are some impressions from the Goose Bay to Port Hope Simpson stretch – 410 km without any service.



George booked a room in Red Bay, so after him kissing the asphalt this time we split and I rode another 54 miles to a Blanc Sablon in Quebec 5min away from the ferry where we had no reservations and they couldn’t be bothered to pick up the phone when you called.

On the way there I passed during sun set some of the most spectacular roads and if the GoPro for once worked I would share it. I was running late and finally stopped to curse the battery life, the remote control and still changed the battery and started the camera. 
In L’ans au Claire was a humongous iceberg of the coast.  Well humongous for someone who never saw an iceberg before. I even thought it was artificial first since I couldn’t believe the size…and guess what? By the time I got  there – yes, the camera battery was dead again.

Finished the day with a sandwich from the gas station and a six pack that I shared with some Canadian riders who did the TLH.

Alarm set to 5 a.m. and a picosecond later I was asleep.

Odometer reading
Today:              416.2 miles
Total:              1786.9 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment