Sunday, July 10, 2016

Day 1 – Off to Canada

Starting the day with a coffee and a close look to the weather forecast along todays route.


There is this little niche between the two fronts or “Positive Thinking 2.0”


Here is how I intended to leave:


and here is how I left - felt like M&M on two wheels.



Two third of the trip was in light rain and I never got out of the raingear, which proofed to be working really well - “Isn’t that reassuring for the remainder of the trip?”

Most of the trip was I-95 North since I wanted to get to Canada and have time to take the back roads on Day 2.
With about 100miles to go I decided to leave the Interstate and cross the border at Orient US / Fosterville CAN.

"At this crossing, the United States is still operating the original border station built in 1936, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.
With the advent of increased automobile traffic in the 1920s, as well as the need to interdict the movement of contraband liquor due to Prohibition, the federal government realized the need for border stations where immigration formalities and vehicle inspections could be performed close to the border, and consequently planned the construction of a series of such stations." (Wikipedia)

Let me tell you the scrutiny hasn’t changed a bit since – after confirming three times my intended length of stay, the route I was planning to take and that I didn’t seek employment in Canada, carried any weapons, drugs, or booze (other than blood alcohol) the very friendly female officer did check all the panniers and the tank bag on my bike.
For my cooperation I was granted permission to take a picture of the border - after promising to not take any of the border facilities.



I am still wondering if the two left and right of the river were friends - would they have to go through the same ordeal every time they want to meet for a drink or could they just take the boat?

Anyway, the officer was very friendly, professional and with a good sense of humor. I’ve seen much worse from far less competent individuals while traveling.

Filled up the bike just before reaching the “Best Western Plus” in Woodstock.



Kickstand down, check in and time for a beer to celebrate the start of another “T-Dawg Tour”.

Odometer reading
Today:            364.8 miles
Total:              364.8 miles

Greetings from Woodstock,

Thomas




2 comments:

  1. Did you buy your rain gear at Home Depot? Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, at REi and it really worked well - the color? I have a helmet on and nobody knows it's me...

      Delete