Monday, July 11, 2016

Day 2 – Ain’t no sunshine…

I didn’t sleep too well and Day 2 greeted me accordingly – no toast for breakfast, rain, packing the bike and adjusting the GoPro took forever. The Garmin GPS took my choice for “taking the back-roads” literally and gave me a sightseeing tour of Woodstock (trust me when I say, you can skip that should you ever be up here).
After that it was trying to put me on some 2nd tier road to my destination Matane where I had to catch the 3pm ferry.
Overwrite and onto Highway 2 heading North – after telling me for 20 miles to leave the highway, turn around and go back, I almost lost it. Of course I know it is an operator failure, but would I

a) Admit that?
b) Read the complete BMW Navigator V manifesto?

No to both!


I summarized the day into a short video without music – feel my pain!


Made it to the ferry in time and once I lined up for boarding I heard the familiar sound of a BMW Boxer approaching. A minute later I introduced myself to George from New Brunswick and found out that we were on the same route and schedule. We decided to take on the first part from Baie Comeau to Labrador City together and continue to Happy Valley Goose Bay the following day. George told me that there was no accommodation in HVGB on Tuesday and that the Trans Labrador Highway was not entirely paved as I thought.

We had a couple of beers and dinner in Baie Comeau and agree to meet at Tim Hortons (where else?) at 6:30 a.m. next day.

According to the hotel web site I stood in the best hotel in town – see the picture below. I am glad I didn’t see the second best hotel and that the rate wasn’t by the hour.


Tomorrow is the first big ride of my TLH tour - I am excited and can’t wait to go.

Odometer reading
Today:            291.8 miles
Total:              656.6 miles


Good night,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment