Wednesday, July 12, 2017

James Bay and Trans Taiga Road 2017 - Day 10

 My last cereal bar and Starbucks instant coffee form the early breakfast before we break camp for the last time on this trip.
It is starting to rain and doesn't look as if it would stop any time soon. The tarp kept the riding gear dry, but my hands are so damp after storing the tent and tarp, I can't get them into my rain gloves and finally give up and just keep my GS gloves on. Good rain gloves are certainly a part of equipment that I need to add, there are many that keep you dry, just getting into them is almost impossible once your hands are wet.

The rain stays with us until Montreal where we stop at Tim Hortons for coffee and sandwiches. 

It's time to say goodbye and hopefully not too long until we meet again. We will certainly try to catch up somewhere this season and I am sure it'll involve a campfire and BMW motorcycles.


That's how most of the day looked like....



Crossing the St. Laurent 

Leaving Montreal behind, the noise, traffic and smell gets to an acceptable level again. After a quick and heated exchange about driving habits with a guy almost running me off the road in the middle of a construction zone, I am approaching the border crossing into Vermont. 
A charming CBP officer greets me and after confirming that the helmet camera is off, she welcomes me home.
Vermont, the state that I was raving about on Day 1 is showing it's ugly side today, pouring rain and drivers that show no or little concern for others on the road - did they introduce a bounty on motorcycles while I was gone?

I am swearing my way through rainy Vermont at 62 F, but shortly after crossing into New Hampshire with in few miles it dries up and the temp rises to 85F. 

Kickstand down after 3461,6 miles or 5539 km; good to be home in one piece with lots of great memories. 


I later unload and dry the camping gear and sort through some of the equipment, a good time to reflect what was absolutely essential, not needed or really useless. 

Next day I fired up the compressor, blew out the air-filter, locks, breaks and switches - the nasty dust found it's way into all nooks and crannies. The skid plate looks like sand blasted and the lower center stand is bare metal. That'll have to wait for another day, I am taking the Harley out for a spin...

That concludes the James Bay and Trans Taiga Road 2017 - I hope you enjoyed following another tour and let's see what the next journey brings.




Thomas


Odometer reading
Today:                        388 miles 

Total:                         3461.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment